These are a few of my favourite words (2)
In a previous post, I shared some of my favourite words and promised to share some more in another. Well, here it is.
- Epiphany – a noun, meaning a sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something. I love the cadence of this word. It floats off your tongue and I can almost see the proverbial light bulb coming on as it does.
- Superfluous – an adjective, meaning being beyond what is required or sufficient, surplus to requirement. You can almost tell what this word means from the way it sounds.
- Pontificate – a verb, meaning to express opinions or judgments in a dogmatic way. To me, this word sounds stiff and unyielding, just like its meaning.
- Acerbic – an adjective, meaning sharp or biting, as in character or expression. Again, this word sounds likes its meaning.
- Effervescent – an adjective meaning one who is vivacious and enthusiastic. I love that this word describes me to a ‘t’, (at least, I like to think so ).
- Lackadaisical – an adjective, meaning lacking enthusiasm and determination; carelessly lazy. The word, and the context in which it is usually used, gives the meaning away.
- Verve – a noun, meaning vigour and spirit or enthusiasm. This word sounds to me like the revving of a high-powered car engine. It’s just raring to go.
- Annihilate – a verb, meaning to destroy completely, to reduce to nonexistence. Such a powerful visual this word paints for me, it’s similar in meaning to decimate and obliterate and they all end in the letters ‘-ate’.
- Alas – an interjection, used to express sorrow, regret, grief, compassion, or apprehension of danger or evil. It’s an old English word and I just love it for its quaintness.
- Surreptitious – an adjective, meaning acting with or marked by stealth. Every time I hear this word, I can’t help but visualise a sneaky person tiptoeing along, their eyes darting around their in their sockets shiftily as they look around. It makes me laugh
These are just a few more of words I like for different reasons. Do please share yours.
Tara for now.